January 10, 2013, 06:06:27 AM
Bars in Sihanoukville
Living in Cambodia Forums

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mekong Delta to Snooky  (Read 839 times)
limeyben

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

Well I'm here in the hotel in HCMC. Tomorrow off to Da Lat for a few days, Nga Trang for a few days then back to HCMC. Then off to Mekong Delta.
  Now can anyone advise me? Should I go on a tour terminating at Pnom Penh, then go to Snooky, or can I get transport (pref a bus} from Chau Doc to Kep and on to Snooky?
There's only one of me, would an organised trip be better than making your own way? Hope to hear from you guys. Soon come!

casper
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »

Not sure, but I believe there's no through bus from HCMC to Kep.

There definitely is one that comes straight down to Snooky, but i'd still recommend a night or two in Phnom Penh anyway.

If you're traveling alone, Kep can be a very lonely place! lol

Click to visit - Charlie Harper's Bar

cdn_glenn
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:14:36 PM »

Not an easy route LBean.  I've done it the other direction.  So, from Saigon take a speedboat (same pier as Vung Tau) to Can Tho.  Spend a night.  Bus to Rach Gia.  Either spend a night or you might find a bus on to Ha Tien.  From Ha Tien, that's probably changed.  Had choice of either moto or tuk-tuk from Kep when I left there.  Roads by the salt flats were bad.  Discovered several bruises from the journey. :0

Try this thread: http://www.sihanoukvilleonline.com/forum/travel-discussion/help!!-bussing-down-from-hcm-tomorrow-some-questions/  Looks like the route has improved.

The bus HCM City to Phnom Penh is 6 hours.  Phnom Penh is definitely worth a couple of days.

limeyben

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

Thanks guys!

It seems a safe bet to take a trip round Mekong ending at Chau Doc.... fancy maybe a slow(?) boat to Phnon Penh, stay a few days at fancy guest house then make my way down there, gotta go, pissed and must make the morning bus!

npmole
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:54:19 AM »

Last Year i took the bus from HCMC to Can Tho(~$4). Stayed there two nights and did a private boat trip on the mekong(5 hours $12 incl. tip). From Can Tho i took the bus to Rach Gia, changed bus and then to Hat Tien(~$5). Stayed some Days in Hat Tien (visit Oasis Bar :up:) then took a shared taxi (2 pax) to Kampot (IIRC ~$10). Stayed a night(visit Bar Red :up:) then took Mini Bus to Snooky (~$8).

Oasis Bar Ha Tien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

If you are in Can Tho when your Mekong tour ends,you can get a bus to Rach Gia (about 3 hours),then a Mai Linh express minibus to Ha Tien (less then 2 hours and 3USD) If you end up  in Chau Doc,you can get a bus to Ha Tien (about 2+1/2 hours,then next day get a minibus from our bar at 11 am (operated by Ha Tien-Phu Quoc Travel) to Sihanoukville.It costs 16USD,and takes about 4+1/2 hours to get there

The only western style bar/bistro in Ha Tien

limeyben

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »

Thanks guys/gals.

Being the old soft sod that I am I rather fancy the boat from Chau Doc to PP, can someone give me an idea journey takes on slow boat rather than fast boat?
I take it Im will be staying in Chau Doc for a night so as to arrange things. I take it I buy  ticket there yeah?. Being 6'4'' tall bus seats can make me squashed so the boat sounds good. Many people on the boat?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: