December 14, 2012, 02:54:24 PM
Bars in Sihanoukville
Living in Cambodia Forums

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Land travel into Cambodia/Snooky v. Air travel into Cambodia/Snooky  (Read 2306 times)
wdwflash
Secure Member

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:10:10 AM »

This subject came up the other day in Charlie Harper's afternoon roundtable discussion group and beer tasting society. Which is better, or less hassle, or more fun, or cheapest, or most comfortable, or safest, etc? Taking the bus/taxi from Thailand to Snooky (Sihanoukville)(and back) or flying from Thailand to Phnom Penh then bus/taxi to Snooky? (and back)

I personally like the flying as I hate bus's/taxis's, and the less time I can spend in them the better. This option also gets me some time on street 104, Sharky's, Martini's, Cyrcee, etc. AirAsia, about $90, each way BKK-PP. 
Dave

LORD OF THE RING: " I've just watched a DVD about greed, evil, the failure of man, and the cruelty caused by a ring. ......I hate my wedding video"

peppermintpaddy
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 03:58:56 PM »

Ive crossed into Cambo 3 times by land...twice via Ko Kong......its a nightmare,the visa is $40 dollars instead of the $20 its supposed to be, and everyone and their granny is trying to rip you  the minute you cross the border.(I could go into detail,but take my word for it)
    FLY, into Phnum Penh everytime,no hassle.Book the Flamingo hotel for instance,and they will even meet you at the airport,free transfer.
    Take a bus 10 or 11 am the next day for nice leisurely trip down to Snooky.
*notice I did not say take a minibus down to snooky-thats a completely different experience.......

Parrot Head
Secure Member

Changes In Lattitudes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »

In May, near the end of the month, I came across with Luna and a friend of hers who lives in Pattaya. We crossed at Koh Kong. The total trip, both vehicle rides, and all time to stop at the border crossing (both sides), and a rest for a bit on this side of the border, was less than 9 hours. The trip cost $180 USD, split three ways.

When you figure in driving time from Pattaya to the airport, checking in, flying across, landing in Phnom Penh, leaving the airport and driving down to Sihanoukville, I imagine it will be considerably longer than 9 hours.  

Taking life day by day.

peppermintpaddy
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 02:18:31 AM »

@New2snooky....did you not have to stay overnight in ko kong?

Also-did you not get ripped off at the border for a 1200 baht visa($40) ?

Also-how was the minibus ride down to the border? The border crossing?the transfer to Snooky?-smooth wasi t?

wdwflash
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 08:59:20 AM »

Here's a hypothetical trip Pattaya to Snooky

2 hr.-Hotel in Pattaya to BKK airport via Bell travel
1 hr. wait for flight
1 hr flight
1 hr customs/bags/transport to hotel (Phnom Penh)
4 hrs. PP to Snooky or 3 hrs by taxi
______
9 hrs total. (8 hrs if by taxi PP/Snooky)

It is 9 hours Pattaya/Snooky, but it is broken up in segments instead of being on the road for 9 hrs. (with its loud Khmer/Thai music-videos)  For me, the flying option is best as it gives me a rest stop in Phnom Penh (good food & party, party) and then a 4 hr. bus ride (3 hr taxi) to sleep off the night before. I haven't done the Thai border to Snooky bus thing, but in 31 years in SEA I have had my share of bus rides and avoid them whenever possible.
Number one on my wish list is AirAsia BBK to Snooky.
Dave

LORD OF THE RING: " I've just watched a DVD about greed, evil, the failure of man, and the cruelty caused by a ring. ......I hate my wedding video"

Parrot Head
Secure Member

Changes In Lattitudes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 09:11:56 AM »

No. We didn't stop for anything until after we got past Koh Kong. We only stopped there for maybe 20 minutes. I like that, as time passed fast for us. We still arrived at Beach Club in under 9 hours. We originally departed Pattaya after 7:30am on the 22nd, and arrived at Beach Club right at 4:00pm. So, actual driving time would have been under 8 hours.

It wasn't 1,200 baht - it was 1,500. So, yep - ripped a new one.

With that said, in my opinion, the immigration staff were quite nice, cordial, and polite. Honestly, they were some of the nicest immigration staff I have dealt with, aside from a trip to New Zealand in 2006.

Also-how was the minibus ride down to the border? The border crossing?the transfer to Snooky?-smooth wasi t?

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. We came across in two vehicles, a truck from Pattaya to the border and a toyota from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville. No buses or mini-buses were involved in our trip.

I see Dave has posted estimated times for a flight. Considering you can come across a bit faster by land, and have all the scenery to view, in both countries, I would take the land route over flying, any day.

Taking life day by day.

barracuda
Secure Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 02:41:24 PM »

With that said, in my opinion, the immigration staff were quite nice, cordial, and polite. Honestly, they were some of the nicest immigration staff I have dealt with, aside from a trip to New Zealand in 2006.

sure they were at that price !

peppermintpaddy
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

No. We didn't stop for anything until after we got past Koh Kong. We only stopped there for maybe 20 minutes. I like that, as time passed fast for us. We still arrived at Beach Club in under 9 hours. We originally departed Pattaya after 7:30am on the 22nd, and arrived at Beach Club right at 4:00pm. So, actual driving time would have been under 8 hours.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. We came across in two vehicles, a truck from Pattaya to the border and a toyota from Koh Kong to Sihanoukville. No buses or mini-buses were involved in our trip.

I see Dave has posted estimated times for a flight. Considering you can come across a bit faster by land, and have all the scenery to view, in both countries, I would take the land route over flying, any day.

I've never heard of anyone doing it that fast.Ive heard of direct options,but they were always more than $60 dollars each!
Yes of course the border guards were nice ,you had just given then $30 dollars each on top of the cost of the visa!Thatsprobably a full week's wages for them.They must be on hundreds of dollars a day.
Being with 2  companions also cut down the risk of being ripped off by everyone else.

Do you have the name of the company that did it for that price ,in one day?

floyd
Secure Member

The Horror The Horror

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 11:27:46 PM »

:banana:
   become a us marine dont respect borders

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my
dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a
straight razor, and surviving.

Parrot Head
Secure Member

Changes In Lattitudes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:39 AM »

No. I believe it was two separate people she dealt with. One would have been on the Thai side; the other on the Cambodia side. I will be happy to talk with Luna (the co-owner of Beach Club) and get the contact information for both guys, for you. She made it a point to let me know I could have their contact information any time I wanted it.

Give me a day or so and I will send you a PM with the information she gives me.

Taking life day by day.

Dacah
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:49 AM »

I've never heard of anyone doing it that fast.Ive heard of direct options,but they were always more than $60 dollars each!
Yes of course the border guards were nice ,you had just given then $30 dollars each on top of the cost of the visa!Thatsprobably a full week's wages for them.They must be on hundreds of dollars a day.
Being with 2  companions also cut down the risk of being ripped off by everyone else.

New2Snooky

Being with 2 well seasoned travelers on that route makes a difference....

Luna yes( shes done that trip more than a few times ) the other, a guy who would be considered ....an old hand ...

been in business in Snooky before most  !!!

Lucky to have such traveling companions....:)

Luna will fill you in with the various taxi drivers on both sides

Happyman-too
Secure Member

Temples are not all the same

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:49:03 AM »

Having done the trip both ways many times, it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
The land journey is enjoyable but with hassles, the air journey tedious.

In the old days the 4 river crossings were "exciting" on the various ferries, but they are now superseded by very nice bridges.  1st trip I did the taxi was $70, incl the ferry fees and took about 8 hours Koh Kong to Snooky.

The bullshit overcharging at the land border gives a bad taste. It is paying a lot of people off, including many high ups. Otherwise it would have stopped long ago, they know, Hun Seng knows. He replied to a complainant, this is "Cambodia".

Patts to BKK is now less than 200 baht by bus. Air Aisa for what ever you can get (could be $30 or 40) plus taxi PP to Snooks at $50
Patts to Trat 180 Baht, Trat to border 200 Bt, Moto to KK 100 bt. Overnight in decent hotel in KK $15. Bus ticket to Snooky about $6.
Pays your money takes your choice.

I go to see the Temples - right?

Parrot Head
Secure Member

Changes In Lattitudes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »

New2Snooky

Being with 2 well seasoned travelers on that route makes a difference....

Luna yes( shes done that trip more than a few times ) the other, a guy who would be considered ....an old hand ...

been in business in Snooky before most  !!!

Lucky to have such traveling companions....:)

Luna will fill you in with the various taxi drivers on both sides

No doubt. Both were great and very helpful to me. I could not have asked for a better "introduction to Cambodia" than I got from both Luna and Nick.

Taking life day by day.

peppermintpaddy
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »

@ new2snooky........what you have described is your one and only trip via land from pattaya to snooky.It was organized by someone in the know ,and you were accompanied by 2 xperienced travellers in the area.It was hardly a typical experience.
      Anyone reading the forum would read your account,and how much you paid and think this was the norm.Its not a typical pattaya-snooky trip scenario.Happyman-too described a far more realistic scenario.
    I think your single trip so far sounds great,but I think its the exception.My experiences ,and happyman's are more common than yours.Did not the fact you were ripped off at the border count for nothing in your experience? Or are you OK with that?

Parrot Head
Secure Member

Changes In Lattitudes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »

No. I can't say that I was okay with it. But, what was I going to do, tell them I wouldn't pay the total fee? Luna and Nick informed me prior to arriving there, what the cost would be. I am certainly open to suggestions as to what you, or others do, upon crossing over by land. So, what would you have done? I was new in the country and they certainly could have simply sent me back across to Thailand, at their whim.

Also, if you have a multiple entry (business) visa here, are they still going to attempt to "charge" me a fee when I cross next time?

Taking life day by day.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: