September 08, 2013, 06:32:36 PM
Bars in Sihanoukville
Living in Cambodia Forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
Author Topic: Upset stomach? Read this  (Read 15633 times)
Happyman-too
Secure Member

Temples are not all the same

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 04:56:59 AM »

It seems that every day I hear of people debilitated by "travellers tummy" - D and V or diarrhea and vomiting.
In Cambodia good medical help is very hard to find, doctors are poorly trained and motivated solely by money. Pharmacies sell copy and fake medicines and rarely give good advice.
Whilst not a doctor I have a considerable medical knowledge and suggest the following treatment if - or rather when you get stricken down.

PREVENTION. Almost all tummy upsets are food poisoning, caused by the toxins from bacteria which have grown in tainted food. As a westerner you do not have the resistance built in to the locals, therefore you should :-
Avoid uncooked food that has not been washed or peeled.
You should also avoid any street food that has been cooked and stored warm. A stall with a high turnover may be OK.
Be especially careful of beach food which has be exposed to sun and flys for long periods. Avoid ice cream from street vendors, it may have melted and been refrozen.

TREATMENT. Forget Imodium, only useful to stop the gut contracting, say for a plane ride or such. The underlying condition is not treated by it.
Antibiotic treatment is the answer as almost all upsets are caused by bacteria (bugs).
Best choice is an antibiotic that only acts on the stomach. Available in Snooky is Nifuroxazide 200mg.It is sold under the trade name of Ercefuryl and manufactured by Sanofi-synthelabo. About $2-3 a box of 28. Take 2 twice a day for 4 days.
Other broad spectrum antibiotics will also work but will also give the rest of your body an antibiotic "zap", so it is worth searching out the Nifuroxazide.
Avoid dehydration by drinking lots of water, even if you are still being sick. Hot black tea with a little sugar is good, so is flat lemonade or cocacola. Rest. If achie take some paracetamol.  The above treatment should see you back on your feet in 12 to 24 hours. Good luck
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 07:43:51 PM by Happyman-too » Logged

I go to see the Temples - right?

Sansui
secure member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:23 AM »

Good post - useful information

It is better to die by a knifes quick thrust than to be impaled for a lifetime upon the sharp tongue of a woman

Dacah
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »

Many thanks...

Each time I go to a local party

I always get sick for 2/3 days with some sort of food problem..

lemons
Secure Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:19 PM »

Hey H/man 2, thanks for a useful post.
I get 'busy bottom' about every 6 weeks and if it persists a few days I usually alternate Ciproflaxin and/or Bactrim, which fixes things up.

Are you saying that this Ercefuryl is a better choice than those two?

To dance beneath the diamond sky - one hand waving free

Happyman-too
Secure Member

Temples are not all the same

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 04:05:03 PM »

Yes Lemons, This is why :-

Nifuroxide is a specific gut only acting antibiotic whereas Ciprofloxicillin is a broad spectrum systemic antibiotic. It will"visit" all areas of your body when you take it.

It is best to save Cipro (and other broad spectrum antibiotics) for when you need it to treat soft tissue infections - chest, urineray tract etc. Bacteria build up resistance, particularly if you don't complete the course. Caution should be used with Cipro - many people are allergic to penicillin products.

Nifuroxide is not a penicillin based antibiotic so one less thing to worry about.

I go to see the Temples - right?

lemons
Secure Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 05:52:20 AM »

Cheers mate. I went and bought some Nifuroxide today. Valuable advice and very much appreciated.

Thanks Lemons

To dance beneath the diamond sky - one hand waving free

Tony
Secure Member

Doing my Best

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »

I also wish to say thank you HM.T for the advice.
Lemons when I lived at the Power House I was always getting the runs & finally worked it out that it was the large Bottles of water we were buying through that great manager there. I bought a filter & problem stopped. Later I found out that one day Tuk Tar opened a new bottle & found a dead Maggot floating on top, she decided NOT to tell me because she knew I would get Pissed off about it & spit the dummy at one of the Morons that work there (Re phrase that) Dont Work just watch TV.

Now I only get the Problem when Im in PP because Im back to buying Bottled Water.

Also I would like to let you all know that IMO the best Pharmacy in Town is in Ekreach Street on the way to the beach left hand side. The Old guy can not walk had Polo when he was a kid cant speak English but loves to have a chat in French, If his son is there he can speak English or just write the name of the Medication in English & he will find it for you. It was Lemmons that put me onto this Pharmacy some years ago he charges about half the price of the Pharmacy near the Market. He does not sell any copy stuff either to the best of my Knowledge.

Can We have a health Forum Please Casper????

Cheers Tony

For Australian Pensioners: Let your voice be heard
http://dspoverseas.proboards.com/index.cgi

Dacah
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »

Tony ...can you give a better description of where the pharmacy is...how far down

Say using the Holy Cow as a reference point...

Thanks

Tony
Secure Member

Doing my Best

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Before you get to the Holy Cow, there is a coffee shop in this small group of shops.
I will try & get the name tomorrow & put it on here.
Cheers Tony.

Rumpole

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 01:16:03 AM »

A nice post Happyman-too.  Thanks for that. 

Another tip, I think, is to try to avoid any mass-catered or community-type catering (such as Khmer weddings or birthdays), as these always seem to leave me with a severe dose of the Kirrirom Quickstep, including a particularly nasty version of Giardiasis which took several weeks and visits to various doctors to completely get rid of. These included an official dinner at a medium-range Snooky hotel, where I had previously eaten individually cooked meals without mishap. I will happily go along to such functions and drink, but nowadays abstain from the food on offer. 

A good pharmacy in Phnom Penh is City Pharmacy on Monivong.  Knowledgeable - quite rare in Cambodia IMO - as he's a trained pharmacist, ethical (no fake or out-of-date drugs) and speaks pretty good English.  He's cheaper than Pharmacie de la Gare and unlike them (and most other pharmacies in PP), if he doesn't have something in stock, he can usually order it within a couple of days.  He is also quite willing to advise on cheaper generic versions of brand-name medicines.  A decent soul and a competent one, in my view.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:39:50 AM by Rumpole » Logged

Dacah
Secure Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 04:53:43 AM »

Rumpole...you hit the nail on the head there regarding the local festive get to gathers..

I have been to a few Church functions and a large local bigwigs daughters birthday...

Each time ...it took at least 24 hours of cramps and the rest...

The last one... only had some bagette and beer...not as bad ..

but still got a bit of an upset..

I recon 10% of the last couple of times in Snookey I have spent with

a sad tummy....have to have my Brandy and port to sort it out ...oooh !!!

Tony
Secure Member

Doing my Best

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »

I Know its a bit late but here is the name & Address for that Pharmacy/

Pharmacy SANTEPHEAP.
just near Cafe Colonia.

Cheers Tony.

casper
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 10:12:28 PM »

Been there loads of times Tony, pleased to say never for me though! Thanks for the memory jog, lol

"It's not easy being drunk everyday, if it was, everyone would do it" - Tyrion Lannister

Click to visit - Charlie Harper's Bar

Rumpole

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »

The last one... only had some bagette and beer...not as bad ..

but still got a bit of an upset..

I would guess that the bagettes had probably been 'handled' by someone who was not too meticulous about handwashing.  Since I started to avoid mass-catered food, and be a little cautious (but not paranoid) about where and what I eat, I really haven't had any problems. Your stomach does adjust to the local microbes in time, though I spent 6 months out of Cambodia and still had no problems when I came back (touch wood).

casper
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 03:49:42 PM »

again good advice Rumpole ..... welcome to SihanoukvilleOnline :)

"It's not easy being drunk everyday, if it was, everyone would do it" - Tyrion Lannister

Click to visit - Charlie Harper's Bar

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
Print

Jump to: